What I've Been Into - Winter 2015

Hi all,

This one will be short on descriptions, but long on heart. What I mean is: I have never been so busy in my life. What I mean is: the winter is cold, work is great, my son is beautiful, family is important, sleep is restless, and the lists are miles and miles long. Don't be mistaken -- this is all our doing, whether consciously or not. You see, we've gone and bought a house. A fixer-upper. We close tomorrow. 

It's all about to get very very interesting.

So, friends, that, among many other reasons, is why I've spent less time here recently. However, it cheers me to know I can come back whenever I feel the desire. Like today. Like right now, as I type these letters into words and press publish, as I share something of my life, and genuinely hope you do the same.

Below is what I've been into these last three months (when I wasn't creating lessons and grading essays and signing documents and filing taxes and contacting contractors and building the biggest Mega Blok towers the world has ever seen, etc. etc. etc.). 

How about you?
  

Books:
  1. O Pioneers! by Willa Cather 
  2.  Thomas and Beulah by Rita Dove
  3. Macnolia by A Van Jordan 
  4. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
  5. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  6. Fun Home by Allison Bechdel
  7.  The Things They Carried - by Tim O'Brien
TV & Movies:
  1. Downton Abbey, season 4 -- Don't ruin season 5 for me, people! Just don't.
  2. Good People -- Pretty predictable plot, but still fairly entertaining.
  3. The Dark Matter of Love -- Fascinating story about international adoption.
  4. Marco Polo -- Because it was on Netflix, and why not?

Articles, Essays, & Posts:
  1. "Why poor people stay poor" by Linda Tirado
  2. "You're doing allowance wrong" by Ron Lieber -- Because apparently I'm thinking about these things already? 
  3. "Model Mother" by Enid Irwin Madara -- A beautiful piece of writing.

Finds & Arrow Signs:
  1. Thumbtack -- Great website if you're planning on doing any kind of project that requires expertise
  2. Nextdoor -- Another website that's basically a social network for your local neighborhood
  3. Apostle Island Ice Caves -- Currently, I'm the travel-vicariously type. But if you can, go here! Then tell me all about it.


Comments

  1. Congratulations on the purchase of a home. Now you will be even busier. Life sounds good, though. Glad you are happy in all facets. I do miss your posts, but totally understand. I would not have had time either when my three were little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's tough to find the time. Maybe this summer! Thanks for your note.

      Delete
  2. That's a delightful photo of your snow-boy.

    Here's something from my life that will tickle you. I never had heard of Paddington. I know, I know. But I hadn't. I went to the movie, and fell in love. When the DVD finally comes out, I'm going to buy it so I can watch it every week. If you haven't seen it, you must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paddington! You are the second person this month to tell me I'd like this movie. Add it to the list...

      Delete
  3. You are experiencing one the best intervals in a life time. Relatively new family with a new place to live! Life is more than an adventure when it comes to where you are these days. Relish all of it! Time goes by quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great ideas, also i like it , tnx for share

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of Nextdoor . . . what kinds of things does it help people accomplish? Local events? Neighborhood news?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog.

    Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality
    writing, it's rare to see a great blog like this one
    these days.

    My site - dien dan dang tin rao vat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Boy

Sliding Doors: One Last Glance Toward Europe